Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day 30 - Waning Days of Summer, at Sunset


More surprises where I expected least to find them.

I took this long circuitous bike ride (with thanks to MFS for introducing me to bikely.com) from my place in Morningside Heights through Downtown Brooklyn, Crown Heights, Ditmas Park, down Ocean Parkway, through Brighton Beach, along the Coney Island boardwalk (stopped to watch a Cyclones game), through Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge--all real estate that was well-trodden to me: Riding over the Manhattan Bridge always reminds me of a Bernice Abbott photo, no matter time of day nor weather; I was familiar with the Victorians in Ditmas Park and they're as gorgeous as ever; I used to be a Cyclones season ticket holder and it's still the coolest thing in the world to watch double plays in one direction and the surf beating the shore in the other; I used to live in Bay Ridge and the limestone rowhouses are the handsomest I know in the boroughs.

I was riding with Megan and showing her some of these places for the first time, which was just as fun for me. It's always a little bit new to see a place again by telling someone else about it from memories: first apartments, run-ins, trysts, favorite pizza. Heady stuff.

So imagine my surprise most of the way up 6th Avenue, climbing into Sunset Park, to realize I'd never been there. Never once. Thirty-five years in New York, minus a couple of inconsequential ones, and I had never stepped foot in the actual Sunset Park. Been to the neighborhood a hundred times. Even skirted the park itself a bunch of times. But never once inside. Ridiculous, it seems.

Even more awing when we wound our way through the hundreds--maybe a couple thousand--of neighborhood residents lounging, barbecuing, biking, dribbling soccer balls, batting at tennis balls or slicing salted mango with paprika and lime, is the view from the ridgeline in the center of the park. Off to the west, through a thin afternoon haze, was the evidence of a still-working waterfront on the Brooklyn shoreline, a procession of rooftop watertanks and, almost within reach if you tried, the skyline at the Battery. I suspect we accidentally and quite happily stumbled upon this special place on the best day of the year: a picture perfect final summer day at, well, sunset. The stats I read tell me that Flushing Meadows is the most intensively used park in NYC's system; I wouldn't believe it today.

Much of the weekend was like that: expecting the familiar and being grabbed by what we didnt' expect. Somehow we totally forgot that it was the West Indian Day parade until we tried biking across Eastern Parkway and got caught up for blocks in grills, coolers, jerk seasoning, steel drum bands and a surprising trail of paraders in fuchsia.

And L&B Spumoni Gardens has a mouth-watering Sicilian slice that we were sorry to arrive too full to try more of. We stopped in as we passed by en route home. I assumed I'd just be crossing another good slice off of my list of pizza to try in NYC, and I almost wept instead at the idiocy of showing up to a place like this after a big lunch at Gambrinus in Brighton. It seems silly to worry over it, but the true pizza aficionados in the audience will appreciate exactly what I mean by this.

A day later I'm still grinning at the fond memories of happening into Sunset Park for the first time. It's a wonderful feeling to find the new in the familiar; we should all have more if it in our lives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've never step foot into Sunset Park?

I'm ashamed to be associated with you.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Gooch, I'm just reading this today (1/21/08), but just yesterday I went to Sunset Park for the first time, and eventually ended up at the Spumoni Gardens as well. Like Carl, I am ashamed to know you, not because of Sunset Park, but because you're a lightweight eater--I had 2 slices at L&B, then went to Nathan's for a hot dog. :)